My wife bought me a Keurig coffee maker a for Christmas and absolutely love it, but I’ve never had a good way to store the coffee pods. I’ve been using a box next to the coffee maker, hardly an elegant solution. I looked online and found a lot of designs on the market but most have a bunch of holes for storing individual pods. I drink quite a bit of coffee and knew I that keeping those filled would be a pain so I designed this K-Cup coffee pod dispenser.
My design criteria was that I wanted it to be easy to refill, hold a lot of pods and to reflect the cool styling of my Keurig coffee maker. Basically I wanted it to be functional, but also look good.
However, this isn’t a perfect design. I love the look of it, but the odd shape of the pods tend to get clogged up inside. I thought they would just slide down. It’s not a huge problem; I can reach in and dislodge them if needed, but it could definitely use some design improvement. If the pods were all lined up, it would work, but that wouldn’t store as many, and I don’t want to keep refilling this all the time. I think another option might be to remove the center divider and allow for more space. But then I could store just one flavor. I have my plans available down below, but just be aware that you might want to modify them.
Let me know if you have any design suggestions to try that would improve this and maybe I’ll revisit this project in the future.
Making the K-Cup coffee pod dispenser
Next, I printed out a cutting template, attached it using spray adhesive and cut out all three boards at once using my bandsaw. Then sanded the curves smooth.
I cut a small notch on the bottom front of each board. This is will hold a thin strip that will act as a cleat.
I glued and tacked the three sides to a ¼” (6mm) plywood base and an ⅛” (3mm) plywood back.
This little strip acts as a cleat, extending above the base.
I used strips of ⅛” (3mm) plywood to bend into the two dispenser areas. My thought is that this will keep the k-cup pods moving toward the front as they are dispensed.
After painting the unit, I screwed on a piece of 1/32” (less than 1mm) thick acrylic to the front.