I have a record player and records that I haven’t given much attention over the last couple of years and that gave me an idea to build a custom stand for it to give it a place of meaning and use in my home.
I ordered some hair pin legs and designed a stand with storage for records and a table top for the player.
The whole piece is going to be built out of 3/4″ plywood except for the dividers. I went to the hardware store and picked up a 4’x4′ sheet of plywood that they sell and really like it. It’s easier to work with than the larger pieces and looks nicer than most plywood.
While I was at the hardware store I also picked up some of this Bandit iron on tape that has a wood finish, perfect for the edge of plywoods.
I also bought a sound activated party light with the world’s longest title for the stand!
I’m using Dado blades to make the cuts needed for shelves.
Once I made all of my dados and rabbets, I began lining up the outside frame of the stand.
I made measurements and cut the shelves then used glue to adhere them into the dado cuts I’ve made.
I used a mallet to level up the corners and made them flush.
Next I wanted to show you how to use the iron on tape to cover the edges. This is actually made out of real wood and can be used pretty easily. I’ve never had any issues with it peeling off or separating after it is sealed. Just measure out what you need and cut it with scissors. I like to start in the middle and get it to attach. Don’t hold the iron in any one place too long. You want to avoid burning the wood.
I just use a dowel at the end to smooth out any imperfections.
I use a razor blade to trim the excess tape off of the edges. I also try to smooth that out after by sanding lightly with 220 grit sand paper.
I’ve decided to glue the top piece on and then use dowels after, mostly as decorative to hold the top in place.
Clamps on and time to dry!
I’m drilling holes into the top piece for dowels to be inserted.
I put a piece of tape around my drill bit so I know how far down to drill.
I inserted the dowels, slightly glued, over top of the holes. Next, I had to cut them down to the surface of the top of the piece and sand that area smooth for finishing.
I’m applying 1/8″ plywood to the back panel of the piece as well. I’m going to stain it separately then tack it into place.
I’m using a rag to wipe on stain and then I’ll seal off the piece with a topcoat of lacquer.
Now I gotta attach the legs. I discovered that the screws that came with them were too long and that they would poke through the bottom of the piece. I ended up purchasing some shorter screws that would line up easier.
I forgot to drill a hole in the back of the stand for the disco lamp so I have to do that now! Hey, we all make mistakes!
Look at those lights!